Montana Contractor License Classifications

A contractor license is required in Montana for anybody who builds, alters, fixes, adds to, subtracts from, improves, moves, wrecks, or demolishes a building, highway, road railroad, excavation, or other structure, project, development, or improvement related to real estate. Carpet installers, scaffolding erectors, and roofing and siding installers are also included in this list. Is obtaining a license worth the time and effort? Yes! You might be penalized up to $500 per infraction if you undertake paid contractual work without a license.

Is obtaining a license worth the time and effort? Yes! You might be penalized up to $500 per infraction if you undertake paid contractual work without a license. Thus, the first step is to learn about licensure from the Montana Department of Labor and Industry. There, you will find the two types of licenses you can choose from:

Construction contractor’s license: If you are a contractor or subcontractor with employees who own or work for a company, you will need this license.

Independent contractor’s license: If you wish to conduct contractual work and run your own firm, this is the license to get. You can choose not to be covered by Montana’s Worker’s Compensation Policy if you choose this option.

It’s time to get an application form after you know which license you are seeking for.

General Licensure Requirements

Whether you are applying for a construction contractor’s license or an independent contractor’s license, the process is different. So, here is everything you need to know about it.

Construction contractor license

Go to the Montana Secretary of State and apply for a business license. This is simple to do on the state’s website.

You also need to obtain a Montana Tax Identification Number.

If you have employees, buy high-quality workers’ compensation coverage. Thus, you will have to produce proof of insurance to the state. Finally, you must complete and submit an application form. You must print it and mail it to the following address:

Department of Labor and Industry
Registration Section
PO Box 8011
Helena, MT 59604-8011

Remember to pay the application fee! You can pay online or mail it together with your application.

Independent Contractor License

You should prove that you own a company.

The Montana Department of Revenue can help you obtain a Montana Tax Identification Number.

Then fill out an exemption certificate for independent contractors. Moreover, you can buy a self-selected workers’ compensation insurance policy.

Fill out the application form and mail it to:

Department of Labor and Industry
Registration Section
PO Box 8011
Helena, MT 59604-8011

Construction contractors must pay a fee of $70, while independent contractors must pay a cost of $125.

Electrician’s License

If you want to do electrical work in Montana, you will need a license from the Montana State Electrical Board. Electrical contractors, masters, journeymen, and residential electricians are all licensed by the MSEB.

Electrician License for Residential Use

A residential electrician license applicant must meet one of the following two requirements:

Having completed a two-year electrical apprenticeship

Practical work experience of two (2) years (or 4,000 hours) with:

  • Wiring
  • Apparatus
  • Equipment for electrical light, heat and power

A licensed electrician from another state who has passed their state’s tests with a score of 75% or higher can apply for a Montana journeyman license without taking the MSEB exam. The following states are eligible:

  • Alaska
  • Arkansas
  • Colorado
  • Idaho
  • Minnesota
  • Nebraska
  • New Hampshire
  • New Mexico
  • Oregon
  • North Dakota
  • South Dakota
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

Use the Montana State Electrical Board’s website to apply for your license. You can also discover more about the state’s electrical exam by visiting this page. If you have any further questions, please contact:

Montana State Electrical Board
301 South Park Avenue
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513

Journeyman Electrician License

For a journeyman electrician’s license, one of the following two (2) requirements must be met:

Four (4) years (8,000 hours) of practical work experience with wiring, apparatus, or equipment for electrical light, heat, and power in a Montana-approved apprenticeship program; or

More than 4,000 hours of the total time put in could be spent on a residential building. Moreover, the remaining hours must be spent in one or more of the following construction disciplines: commercial, industrial, or institutional. Credit for hours spent in a qualified electrical trade school may be granted by the MSEB. This is handled on a per-case basis.

Master Electrician License

To be eligible to take the master electrician’s exam, an applicant must demonstrate that he or she meets one of the following three (3) criteria:

Electrical engineering degree plus one (1) year of practical electrical work experience, or

Four (4) years of practical electrical work experience plus graduation from a post-secondary electrical trade school, or

Five (5) years of practical work experience as a journeyman electrician, with experience in layout and electrical system monitoring. Furthermore, commercial, residential, industrial, and institutional wiring for light, heat, and power must all be included in the experience.

Plumber Licenses

A plumber working in Montana is required to have a license from the Montana State Board of Plumbers. Consequently, this procedure necessitates the completion of a test.

Plumbers, like electricians, can apply for a license online. Gainesville Independent Testing Services provides plumbing tests for the state. However, if you have any additional queries, please contact:

Montana Board of Plumbers
301 South Park Avenue
P.O. Box 200513
Helena, MT 59620-0513

Plumber Journeyman License

In terms of the journeyman plumbing license, Montana has reciprocity agreements with North Dakota, Oregon, and Idaho.

A candidate must demonstrate the following while applying for a journeyman plumber’s license:

Five (5) years of on-the-job experience as a plumber, or

A voucher signed by a licensed master plumber.

Master Plumber License

To obtain a master plumber’s license, a plumber must complete the following requirements:

Four (4) years of work experience as a journeyman plumber (with a minimum of 1,500 hours per year), of which three (3) years must be as a master plumber or a supervisor in plumbing work.

Legal documentation attesting nine (9) years of experience.

Water Well Contractor License Application

Water well contractors in Montana must also obtain licenses before they may work on projects involving water. The following are the requirements for this license:

At least one year of verifiable experience as an apprentice. Also, applicants must include information about their previous work experience in the field of water well drilling.

At least three professional recommendations from companies other than the applicant’s current employer. Furthermore, the references must be able to provide detailed descriptions of the contractor’s work.

An application form that has been filled out completely.

They should have a list of equipment that they will employ for their water well drilling projects and company.

Thus, a passing score of 80% or higher on the exam required.

The board may also examine the technical experience of a water well contractor.

Other useful information

The exam for the state-issued water well contractor license can be taken at the following locations:

  • Billings
  • Bozeman
  • Glasgow
  • Havre
  • Helena
  • Kalispell
  • Missoula

The contractor must pass this 200-question exam with an 80 percent or higher grade. The exam covers topics such as state laws and regulations, geology, monitoring well construction, general hydrogeology, cable tool and rotary rig drilling procedures, and site safety.

After passing the exam, the contractor must file the bond before receiving the license. Finally, the contractor can begin contracting and drilling for water wells.

Montana also gives permits to monitoring well constructors and water well drillers.

Also, the state’s issued registrations and licenses are valid in all Montana cities and counties, including Billings, Missoula, Great Falls, Bozeman, Butte, Helena, Kalispell, Havre, Anaconda, and Miles City. When it comes to contractor licenses, they follow state standards. Some localities may have additional criteria before a contractor can begin work on any project.



Lily has six years of expertise as an SEO content writer. She has authored numerous articles for a variety of websites and businesses on various topics. She can help with ghostwriting, blog writing, guest posting, tech writing, etc. Lily writes SEO content for companies looking to improve their Google search rankings. She regularly writes articles about business licenses, digital marketing, cybersecurity, fashion, psychology, etc. Lily has established a unique writing style throughout the years of content writing for a variety of websites. She has also worked as an SEO specialist. Lily has achieved very high rankings for the websites with which she has collaborated. In her works, she employs a combination of various SEO and content tools, as she understands that well-optimized content is the KING.